Clark to announce retirement with Colts

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Former Indianapolis tight end Dallas Clark will retire Wednesday with the team that brought him into the NFL.

Clark was Indy’s first-round pick in 2003. In nine seasons, he broke the franchise’s career tight end records for receptions (427) and TD catches (46) and finished second in yards receiving (4,887) and 100-yard games (seven). He also set Colts single season records with 100 receptions and 1,106 yards in 2009 and 11 TD catches in 2007.

He was released following the 2011 season, part of the rebuilding purge that included the release of Peyton Manning and defensive captain Gary Brackett among others.

Clark landed with Tampa Bay in 2012 and played in Baltimore last year. He finished with 505 receptions, 5,665 yards and 53 TDs.

The Colts announced the retirement Monday.

Pete Rose returns as manager for a day

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) — Pete Rose stood behind the batting cage Monday, joking as former major leaguer Joe Mather hit ball after ball to center field during batting practice for the Bridgeport Bluefish.

“I asked him, ”˜What are you working on, a sacrifice fly?”’ Rose said.

Charlie Hustle’s jersey was too big and he was wearing dress pants as he exchanged lineup cards with Lancaster manager Butch Hobson at home plate. But Rose was back in his element, managing a baseball team, if just for one day.

The 73-year-old whose 4,256 hits are the most in major league history served as guest skipper for the Bluefish of the independent Atlantic League during their game with the Lancaster (Pennsylvania) Barnstormers . He also coached first base for the team.

The game at the 5,300-seat stadium was his first managing job since 1989, when as the skipper of the Cincinnati Reds he agreed to a lifetime ban from Major League Baseball or betting on baseball. He later admitted that he bet on Reds games while running the team.

Rose could take this one-game job because the Bluefish are not affiliated with any major league team. He said the appearance wasn’t about bringing attention to the ban or getting reinstated.

Schumacher leaves hospital, out of coma

BERLIN (AP) — Nearly six months after sustaining serious head injuries in a skiing accident, seven-time Formula One champion Michael Schumacher left a French hospital on Monday and was transferred to neighboring Switzerland to continue his recovery.

Schumacher “is not in a coma anymore,” his manager, Sabine Kehm, said in a brief statement announcing that the German driver had left the Grenoble University Hospital, where he had been treated since his accident Dec. 29.

Kehm gave no further details of his condition or medical outlook, saying only that he would “continue his long phase of rehabilitation.”

Schumacher left the Grenoble hospital Monday morning, said hospital spokeswoman Brigitte Polikar.



        filed under: