BANGOR — Freshman Henry Doherty scored his first varsity goal to lift the Brunswick High School boys soccer team to a 1-1 Kennebec Valley Athletic Conference deadlock with Bangor on a cold Friday night.

“It was a great game with a playoff atmosphere,” said Dragons coach Mark Roma, whose team is 2-2-1 and hosts Edward Little on Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. “I have a feeling we will be seeing them again.”

Bangor (3-0-1) jumped on top 1-0 when Javon Myers scored, but Doherty answered two minutes later.

In the second half, Brunswick goaltender Josh Dorr made a game-saving stop one minute after Bangor netminder Stanley Clark did the same at the other end of the field. Both goaltenders had five saves.

Nate Brock picked up an assist for the Rams.



The Shipbuilders gave first-year coach Chuck Reece his first varsity win with a KVAC victory at Belfast on Saturday.

After a scoreless first half where Alex Fernald had nine saves for the visitors, Morse (1-3-1) jumped on top as Perry Chase converted a corner kick from Garrett Robson.

Goals by Lucas Brown (header assisted by Trevor Drouin) and Alec Beveridge (penalty kick after Oskar Matero was fouled) completed the scoring.

Morse is slated to host Camden Hills on Tuesday at 4 p.m.



The Bobcats allowed their first goal of the season 22 seconds into Friday’s East- West Conference game at Bingham.

From there, it was all Richmond, which improved to 6-0 and hosts Buckfield on Tuesday.

Brendan Emmons scored the first three Bobcat goals and ended with four, while Marcus Black finished with three goals. Trystin Shea and Pedro Borgea added two goals apiece, with one coming from Curtis Anderson, Nate Vintinner and Cody Tribbet.

Zach Small and Matt Holt split time in goal for Richmond, with each making two saves.



In a battle of top Mountain Valley Conference teams, Monmouth slipped away with a Saturday win.

Mason Clement’s two late goals broke a 1-1 deadlock to leads the Mustangs (5-1), who became the first team to score on the Greyhounds (5- 1).

Lisbon took a 1-0 lead with 16 minutes remaining in the first half on an Austin Fournier goal, but Monmouth slipped a shot past Lisbon keeper Ryley Austin late in the half. Avery Pomerleau had the goal.

Austin made a diving save in the second half, but Clement put the rebound into the cage for a 2-1 lead, and Hunter Richardson set up Clement’s final goal to complete the scoring.

Austin finished with 15 saves, while Monmouth goaltender Kasey Smith had eight stops.

The Greyhounds are slated to visit Mt. Abram on Thursday (3:30 p.m.).