beforeafter

Contemporary photo by Gabe Souza/Staff Photographer; historic photo from the Portland Public Library Special Collections & Archives (photographer uncredited).

The photographs above show the corner of Spring Street and High Street in Portland in November 1947 and in November 2014. The fence of the Portland Museum of Art’s McLellan House is visible in the foreground of both views.

Spring Street was widened to a 4-lane arterial in a 1970s urban renewal project. The city is currently pursuing plans to restore it to its historic, 2-lane configuration.

The Portland Room of the Portland Public Library is in the process of organizing and conserving the archival collection of original Portland Press Herald, Maine Sunday Telegram and Evening Express photographic negatives — a major collection that spans from 1937 to 2005. Find more photos at www.pressherald.com/flashback/.