DONETSK, Ukraine — Pro-Russian rebels in eastern Ukraine rejected a previously signed peace deal Friday and announced a new multipronged offensive against Ukrainian government troops.

The main separatist leader in the Donetsk region said the insurgents won’t join further peace talks and another rebel went even further saying they will not abide by a peace deal signed in September.

Separatist leader Alexander Zakharchenko said rebel fighters launched the new offensive to gain more territory and forestall a Ukrainian attack. He declared they will push the government troops to the border of the separatist Donetsk region and possibly even farther.

“Attempts to talk about a cease-fire will no longer be undertaken by our side,” Zakharchenko said.

The peace deal signed in September in the Belarusian capital of Minsk envisaged a cease-fire and a pullout of heavy weapons from a division line in eastern Ukraine. It has been repeatedly violated by both sides, and there has been a surge in fighting and deadly mortar attacks in the last few weeks.