A fire that killed an 18-year-old Caribou man on Monday was started on a closet shelf in a bedroom, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office.

Investigators say the fire was set by Jordan McEwen, who died in the blaze that destroyed his family’s mobile home on Dow Siding Road. His body was found by firefighters just after 10 a.m. in a bedroom. The State Fire Marshal’s Office said McEwen died from smoke inhalation.

After the fire broke out, McEwen called family members to report the fire. McEwen’s mother and brother also lived in the mobile home. Neither was at home at the time.

McEwen also was suspected of setting fire to an apartment house in Caribou in November, where he was living at the time.