A fire that killed an Ogunquit man Thursday morning started in a frying pan that was left on the stove, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office.

The body of Mark Barnard, 54, was found in his bedroom in an apartment on Besbill Street, Ogunquit, after firefighters were called at 2 a.m.

The fire destroyed the apartment, which was above a garage and attached to a house. Firefighters prevented the fire from spreading to the house.

Barnard was a partner in a sign and graphics business in Wells, according to Department of Public Safety spokesman Stephen McCausland.

The apartment had smoke detectors but investigators have not determined whether the batteries had adequate charge.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.