Being the new guy in the organization, Dustin Lawley wants to make a good impression and help his team win.

He did that Wednesday night. Lawley broke a 3-3 tie with a three-run homer in the third inning as the Portland Sea Dogs beat the Erie SeaWolves 6-4 to earn a doubleheader split before 5,779 at Hadlock Field.

Erie won the first game, 4-3.

Lawley, 26, had been an infielder with the Mets’ organization since New York drafted him in 2011. He was released last month, picked up by the Red Sox and joined the Sea Dogs on July 29.

“It’s exciting to be here with new guys,” he said. “Trying not to press and just put good swings on the ball, and good plays on the ball.”

Lawley had only four hits in his first eight games with Portland, but collected two more Wednesday, including his homer on an inside fastball.

“Hopefully I can be consistent and keep doing that,” Lawley said.

Aneury Tavarez (two-run single) and Jordan Weems (RBI single) had knocked in runs in the second inning.

Madison Younginer (6-4) got the win with two innings of relief. John Cornely pitched the last two innings for his second save.

In the first game, Sea Dogs starter Aaron Wilkerson (0-1) made his Hadlock Field debut and looked fine until a troublesome fifth inning put Erie ahead for good.

Portland held a 3-0 lead thanks to Tim Roberson’s two-run homer to left-center in the first inning, and Sam Travis’ RBI single in the third. Manuel Margot scored two of the runs.

Wilkerson, who was promoted from Class A Salem last week, allowed two hits and no runs through four innings. But with one out in the fifth, he yielded two singles and his only walk to load the bases. Wilkerson struck out Wynton Bernard for the second out, but Jason Krizan smoked a grounder down the right-field line for a three-run double, making it 3-3.

JaCoby Jones followed with a single to left. Krizan was being held at third, but Jones was caught in a rundown between first and second base. Second baseman Carlos Asuaje ran Jones back to first but threw too late to get him out.

Meanwhile, Krizan scored for a 4-3 lead.

“I thought I could get Jones,” Asuaje said. “Then, by the time I looked (home), it was too late.”

Erie starter Warwick Saupold (4-6) got the win with five innings of work. Wilkerson pitched six innings, striking out six.

The Sea Dogs (42-75) and Seawolves (46-69) will finish their three-game series at noon Thursday.

NOTES: Tuesday’s rain knocked out the Hadlock video board. A needed part is due in Thursday. …

Wilkerson, 26, was signed by the Red Sox in July 2014 after 1½ seasons of pitching in the independent leagues. …

Roberson’s home run was his third this season. Having played only 38 games because of injury, Roberson is batting .333. …

Margot stole two bases in the first game and is 13 of 17 in 40 games. …

While Margot was chasing down fly balls all over center field, left fielder Keury De La Cruz made a couple of highlight catches, including one leaping grab against the wall to end the fifth inning in Game 1.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.