A FIREFIGHTER works to extinguish flames that badly damaged a Harpswell home on Monday afternoon.

A FIREFIGHTER works to extinguish flames that badly damaged a Harpswell home on Monday afternoon.

HARPSWELL

No one was hurt in a fire that damaged part of a home at 8 Hirams Drive in Harpswell on Monday afternoon.

The fire was reported at around 12:15 p.m.

The home is located next to Webber & Sons Lobster off Pinkham Point Road.

Cundy’s Harbor Fire Chief Ben Wallace said the two-story home is owned by Rick Webber. Wallace said firefighters were told the fire had started in the basement when the homeowner was trying to thaw some pipes, which may have ignited the floorboards.

FIREFIGHTERS clear debris following Monday’s fire in Harpswell.

FIREFIGHTERS clear debris following Monday’s fire in Harpswell.

He said the homeowner had been using a Salamander propane heater.

Firefighters combated heavy smoke and flames.

The homeowners reported the fire and were able to get out before anyone was injured.

An addition on the side of the house received extensive damage along with the kitchen. The second floor was also damaged.

All three of Harpswell’s fire departments responded, as well as Brunswick Fire Department, but a paramedic working out of Mid Coast Hospital’s Harpswell fly car Monday arrived on scene first. He reported smoke showing, Wallace said, which helped let firefighters know what they were dealing with.

Wallace said the fire marshal’s office has been notified of the fire.

Within 20 minutes of arriving at the fire, firefighters received a report gas leak further down the road, Wallace said. Since there were no firefighters left to send, Brunswick Fire Department responded to the call, which ended up being a minor electrical issue.


Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: