TOPSHAM — Frank Lindsay Wellcome, Jr., a native of Yarmouth, Maine, died in Topsham, Maine, on April 20 at the age of 103. His son Stephen and his daughter-in-law Sylvia Stocker were with him when he died.

Frank was born April 12, 1914, to Frank L. and Nellie (Pratt) Wellcome. His twin sister Esther predeceased Frank by many years. Frank always claimed she was the smart one. Considering how bright Frank was, Esther must truly have been brilliant!

The family moved from Yarmouth to Westbrook when Frank was nine. He attended Westbrook High School and graduated in 1932. Following graduation, he worked at S.D. Warren Co. for several years before attending the University of Maine in Orono where he majored in Engineering Physics. He was a member of ROTC and joined the army upon graduation in 1942.

Frank served in the Army Signal Corps in Europe and received the bronze star. After returning home in 1945, he married Fleta Bragdon Chick, whom he had met at S.D. Warren before going to college. He returned to work at S.D. Warren in the research lab. In 1955 Frank took a job at Sprague Electric in North Adams, MA, and the family moved to Williamstown, MA. Following the closure of the Sprague plant in 1969, Frank worked in the computer lab at Williams College in Williamstown until retirement.

Frank was very active in the Masons. He became a Master Mason in the Warren Phillips Lodge in 1936 and remained a Mason for 81 years. While a member of the Williams Lodge in Williamstown, Frank served as District Deputy Grand Master and was awarded the 33rd degree in 1991.

Frank’s mind was sharp right up to the end. He was still memorizing poetry, even at his advanced age, and he enjoyed doing the crossword puzzle every day. Frank was intelligent, opinionated, and engaging. He enjoyed time spent with family and friends, a good laugh, and remembering the old days, especially times spent on the dairy farm in Westbrook owned by Fleta’s family.

Although Frank lived in Williamstown for over 60 years, he always thought of himself as a Mainer. He had a Maine accent, even after years of living “away.” After his last hospitalization in Williamstown, he said, “I want to go home to Maine,” and the family arranged to make that happen. Even though his health declined precipitously after he returned to Maine, it meant a great deal to him to “come home.”

Frank was 103, but he was not ready to die. He was still engaged with life. Although he complained of aches, pains, and inability to move freely, he did not mind being old. He might have said, “Do not complain of growing old. It is a privilege denied to many.”

Frank is survived by his son Stephen and daughter-in-law Sylvia Stocker of Brunswick, Maine, his grandson David Wellcome of Richmond, Indiana, and many treasured nieces and nephews.

A memorial service is planned for June 24 at 2 p.m. at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Brunswick.

Donations in lieu of flowers may be made to the Michael J. Fox Foundation, either through their website donation2.php or by mail at Donation Processing, The Michael J. Fox Foundation, P.O. Box 5014, Hagerstown, MD 21741-5014.

Memories and condolences can be shared at