BIRMINGHAM, Ala.

Ever defiant, Republican Roy Moore’s campaign lashed out at the women accusing him of sexual misconduct, declaring “let the battle begin.” Women’s advocates decried the talk as worn intimidation tactics in a desperate attempt to keep his imperiled Senate bid alive.

Moore ignored mounting calls from Washington Republicans concerned that he may not only lose a seat they were sure to win but also may do significant damage to the party’s brand among women nationwide as they prepared for a difficult midterm election season.

Moore’s team showed no such concerns Thursday.

“You ask me if I believe the girls. No, I don’t believe the girls. I believe Judge Moore,” Moore strategist Dean Young said. “Let the battle begin. … Get ready to fight Mitch McConnell. We’re going to fight you to the death on this.”

President Donald Trump, through a spokeswoman, called the allegations of sexual misconduct against the former judge “very troubling.” The Republican president stopped short of calling on Moore to quit the race, however, breaking with most Republican leaders in Washington, including McConnell, the Senate majority leader.

“He thinks that the people of Alabama should make the decision on who their next senator should be,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said, declining to clarify whether Trump continued to back Moore.

Trump did take time to publicly ridicule Democratic Sen. Al Franken, who apologized Thursday after a woman who had traveled with him on a USO tour in 2006 accused him of forcibly kissing her and then groping her for a photograph taken while she was sleeping on a transport plane. Trump tweeted that the photo was “really bad” and that “just last week he was lecturing anyone who would listen about sexual harassment and respect for women.”

In Alabama, Moore appeared alongside more than a dozen religious leaders, who took turns bashing the Christian conservative’s many critics — especially his female accusers.

“This is a man who does not lie. Compare that to his accusers,” charged Gordon Klingenschmitt of the group Pray in Jesus’ Name.

With Moore looking on, Klingenschmitt quoted the Ten Commandments in a message aimed at two women he called out by name — one has said she was 14 and the other that she was 16 when Moore initiated sexual contact as a district attorney in his 30s.

“Thou shalt not bear false witness,” Klingenschmitt declared.

Another Moore supporter, professor Joel Brind of Baruch College, singled out Gloria Allred, the attorney for one of the accusers, for supporting an agenda designed to “enable serial child predators” — a reference, Brind said, to Allred’s support for abortion rights.

Moore called the allegations “ unsubstantiated,” ‘’unproven” and “fake.” ‘’They’re not only untrue, but they have no evidence to support them,” he insisted, refusing to answer any questions from reporters about the allegations.

Moore has given a single media interview about the allegations to Fox News Channel host Sean Hannity. His campaign website has added a form asking people to report “inappropriate news organization contact.”

Still, he has repeatedly hinted that his team has gathered evidence against his critics.



Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: