Ice covers the ruins of the Vallee Block at Main and Bridge streets. An early morning fire on February 13, 1942, swept through the building, and water used to fight the fire quickly turned to ice in the sub zero temperatures. The upper floors of the building were later removed, and the first floor was rebuilt to house several small businesses. The two story building to the rear was also heavily damaged and the second floor removed. The first floor was rebuilt and presently houses Chicky’s fine diner.

(Mike Sanphy photo)


Facebook comments

filed under: