Garage owner arrested in connection with fatal beating

Maine State Police say a Bradford man was arrested Thursday in the beating death of another man.

Police arrested Peter Robinson, 48, who owns an automotive garage in Hudson.

He is charged in connection with the death of 71-year-old David Trask of Hudson, who died near Robinson’s house Saturday afternoon. Authorities say Trask died from blunt head injuries. Detectives say the two men knew each other, and a dispute between them escalated into a confrontation Saturday.

Robinson was taken to the Penobscot County Jail in Bangor and will make his first court appearance this morning.


Inmate dies shortly after starting her arson sentence

Maine corrections officials say a cancer patient who sought lower bail during her trial for arson has died. She started her sentence a week ago.

Mary Hoskins, 50, was found unresponsive, apparently due to natural causes, at 2 a.m. Thursday.

Hoskins was convicted in Somerset County Superior Court of arson. She was given a split eight-year sentence, with all but two years suspended and four year’s probation.

Hoskins started her sentence on Nov. 10 at jail and was transferred to Maine Correctional Center in Windham on Monday, according to Maj. David Allen, jail administrator at Somerset County Jail. Allen said Hoskins appeared to be in fair health at the time of her transfer.

In 2008, Hoskins and her son, Neal Hoskins, set fire to her mobile home in North Anson to collect insurance. Neal Hoskins was sentenced Sept. 7.

During the October trial, her attorney asked Judge John Nivson to reduce Hoskins’ bail because she had terminal cancer and had six to 12 months to live. Nivson denied the request.


Pike gets permit to blast at its Spring Street quarry

The city has issued a permit to allow Pike Industries to blast rock at its Spring Street quarry.

The permit, issued Tuesday, would allow eight blasts before Dec. 31. Pike has to post a notice on the city’s website two weeks prior to any blasting, which it hadn’t done as of Thursday morning.

Pike officials did not return calls seeking information about the timing and number of blasts planned.

In order to receive the permit, the city’s code enforcement officer, planner and engineer had to approve improvements made to the quarry, as laid out in a consent agreement among Pike, the city and nearby Idexx Laboratories.

The consent agreement, signed last fall, was the result of a years-long battle between Pike and its neighbors about whether the quarrying company should be allowed to blast rock on Spring Street.

The accord required Pike to install $1 million worth of site improvements, including a new access road from Spring Street, berms and other buffering. It also limited the number of blasts to eight per calendar year.


Weston man going to prison after 12th OUI conviction

A 56-year-old northern Maine man is going to prison for nearly six years after his 12th conviction for operating under the influence and ninth conviction for driving after his license had been revoked.

Milo White of Weston was sentenced Wednesday in Aroostook County Superior Court.

White’s conviction stemmed from an accident in which White crashed his all-terrain vehicle in July 2010.

Assistant District Attorney Kurt Kafferlin said White’s criminal record dates to 1973 and includes charges of operating without a license, operating after suspension, assault, criminal threatening, breaking and entering and larceny. He has served more than 13 years in prison.

Kafferlin said White hasn’t had a valid driver’s license in 27 years, but he continues to drink and drive.

Teen accidentally shoots himself with stolen rifle

Police say a 15-year-old Houlton boy accidentally shot himself in the head with a stolen assault rifle he and two other teenagers intended to use to rob a bank.

Chief Butch Asselin said the teenagers, ages 18, 15 and 13, broke into the hunting and fishing supply store Tuesday night.

The suspects stole a hunting rifle, two assault rifles, two semiautomatic handguns and ammunition, he said.

He told the Bangor Daily News that police later received a call about a person who had shot himself. The bullet grazed the boy’s forehead. He is expected to survive.

Asselin said the boy intended to use the gun in an armed standoff with police.

An investigation tied the shooting victim to the robbery and led to the other teenagers. The guns were all recovered.


Food bank holding collection drive Saturday near mall

Maine’s largest food bank will be holding a food collection drive in the Maine Mall parking lot Saturday.

The Good Shepherd Food-Bank is asking the public to help “Stuff the Truck” for the growing number of Mainers struggling with hunger.

The collection will take place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the parking lot at the corner of Gorham Road and Philbrook Avenue, across from Hannaford Supermarket.

Canned items such as vegetables, fruit, tuna and soups are among the most needed items. Monetary donations also will be accepted.


Gym trainer revives man who went into cardiac arrest

A fitness worker is being called a hero for resuscitating a man who had a heart attack while working out on a treadmill at a New Hampshire club.

Whitni Hendley, 22, of York Beach, Maine, said the 65-year-old man had gone into cardiac arrest. He was not breathing and had no pulse.

Hendley grabbed an automated external defibrillator and prepared it to deliver a shock. She shocked the man, then went right into CPR for two minutes — and got a pulse.

It was the first time she ever put her training from paramedic school to work.


Panel recommends adding two seats to land-use board

A panel studying reforms to Maine’s Land Use Regulation Commission is recommending expanding LURC by two seats to a nine-member board, with six seats going directly to county commissioners or their appointees.

The LURC Reform Commission recommendation faces review by the Legislature.

The group Environment Maine is worried about Thursday’s action, saying county officials lack statewide perspective to properly manage development in the state’s wildlands.

LURC regulates development in Maine’s Unorganized Territory.


Etna woman sentenced in crash that killed boyfriend

An Etna woman has been sentenced to 11 months in jail after pleading guilty to charges related to a crash that killed her boyfriend.

Heidi Tasker got 11 months on a reckless conduct charge Wednesday in Somerset County Superior Court and 10 years on a manslaughter charge. All but nine months of the latter sentence was suspended.

Authorities say 23-year-old Tasker was driving in January 2010 when she lost control of her truck and rolled it in Palmyra. Her boyfriend, 19-year-old Kale Page, was ejected and died of his injuries. Two other passengers survived.

Police say Tasker was speeding, but alcohol was not a factor.

— From staff and wire reports