An Alfred man who escaped from jail in New Hampshire and may be armed and on the run in York County is being urged to surrender before he or someone else gets hurt.

At a news conference Monday afternoon, U.S. Marshal for Maine Noel March and Maine State Police Lt. Louis Nyitray urged David G. Hobson to call police at 657-3030 and give himself up.

Later Monday, dozens of heavily armed state troopers, along with deputy U.S. marshals and members of a violent-fugitive task force, continued their search for Hobson, 33, of Alfred.

Earlier in the day, police searched two adjacent homes and several outbuildings at 148-154 New Dam Road in Sanford, uncovering evidence that Hobson had been there just hours earlier.

In the woods behind a house belonging to Hobson’s aunt, police found discarded clothing, gauze and other first aid supplies, and a store receipt showing where Hobson had bought a change of clothes and the supplies.

Hobson had been wearing a gray sweatshirt and sweat pants, and had cut himself on razor wire as he scaled the fence at the jail in Ossipee, N.H.

“We had some reliable information of where we believe he was, but unfortunately that information was almost six hours old,” Nyitray said at the news conference.

The U.S. Marshals Service is offering a $500 reward for information leading to Hobson’s capture.

The marshals in Maine joined the search at the request of the U.S. marshal for New Hampshire because Hobson is believed to be an interstate fugitive. He escaped from the Carroll County Jail in Ossipee on Thursday afternoon.

Police said Hobson later stole a car in Wakefield, N.H., and abandoned it on a little-used logging road near his relatives’ home in the area of New Dam Road.

Police said Hobson has made threats against someone in York County with whom he has had a relationship, though they would not identify the person.

“We will be using any available resource at our disposal, whether it be aircraft or technology, to pinpoint his location,” U.S. Marshal March said at the news conference. March is familiar with the search area because, early in his law enforcement career, he was chief deputy for the York County Sheriff’s Office.

Throughout Monday, a police aircraft circled the densely wooded area of the Massabesic Experimental Forest, which covers southeastern portions of Alfred and Lyman, near the Sanford town line.

There have been no confirmed sightings of Hobson, and police do not know how seriously he is injured. Though he has not hurt anybody, police say he is desperate and may be armed.

“Escaping from jail is a pretty desperate act,” March said. “That in and of itself demonstrates his level of motivation to be free and stay free, at great risk to himself and others who may help him and may be at risk because of him.”

Police say they received information that Hobson may have a gun, but they don’t know where he would have gotten one. They do not believe that a gun was among the supplies that Hobson’s father is accused of leaving for him near his home in Alfred. The package included food, water, medical supplies, blankets and clothing.

Jamie Moores, who lives next door to the houses that were searched on New Dam Road, said she got anxious when she learned that Hobson might be hiding out in the neighborhood.

“My number one worry was he was going to try to get in a house and take us,” said Moores, who has three small children.

She was frightened by the sound of people tramping through the woods behind her house Monday morning, only to discover they were troopers searching for Hobson or evidence of him.

“I know we’re OK, but it’s still nerve-wracking. It’s the worst feeling as a mom, having small children and going through this,” she said.

Michael Clark, who lives nearby, said he wasn’t nervous.

“The guy is probably gone,” he said. “They’ll catch him, just a matter of time.”

Rene Brooks said she grew fearful with all the police activity on her road, which runs into New Dam Road and is flanked by mobile homes.

“I’m scared to death. He’s a looney,” she said, visibly shaken by the sound of a search plane flying low overhead.

Nyitray and March said residents shouldn’t be overly anxious, but should be vigilant.

“This guy is not on a shooting rampage or a home invasion rampage,” March said. “No one’s been hurt. No one’s been injured.”

However, people should be cautious, authorities said.

“Keep your eyes and ears open,” Nyitray said. “Lock your doors. Lock your vehicles up. Keep the keys out of them.”

Police are aware of contacts that Hobson has made in the area and, despite the heavy police presence, they believe he will stay.

“We believe he is not only in Maine, but in this area,” Nyitray said. “When he escaped from New Hampshire, he proceeded to come back here, where he grew up, almost immediately. … He has absolutely no reason to go anywhere else.”

Hobson was considered low-risk when a warrant was issued for his arrest in March on charges that he violated probation by submitting an altered urine sample to his probation officer, then failed to show up for an appointment and failed to give an accurate address.

Now, police say his escape from jail, his desperation to stay free and threats he has made against someone in York County make him a high-risk fugitive.

Police hope that worsening weather and the stress of days on the run might convince Hobson to give himself up.

They also are hoping that because Hobson is known in the area, anyone who sees him will call state police at 657-3030.

Staff Writer David Hench can be contacted at 791-6327 or at: [email protected]