WESTBROOK – It’s been one year since Robert Stubbs was stabbed to death in his home on Central Street in Westbrook, and police still haven’t been able to find the man they believe is responsible.

The delay has been frustrating to Steven Maynard, a close friend of Stubbs and godfather to Stubbs’ 12-year-old son, Zeke. Maynard, who lives in Florida, said that his friend was “a good guy.”

“Bobby and I came from very different walks of life, but he was one of the most remarkably intuitive men with one of the greatest survival instincts I ever knew,” said Maynard. “He was a person who a lot of people underestimated because he had the most overwhelming capacity to parent his children, to try and provide for his family.”

Stubbs’ former wife, Tina Seavey, who is Zeke’s mother, is also upset by the lack of progress in the case.

“It’s frustrating because they still haven’t caught the killer,” said Seavey, who lives in Westbrook.

Stubbs, 40, was killed in his home April 21, 2011. Police say he was stabbed following an argument that appeared to involve drugs.

Stubbs’ neighbors reported hearing a loud argument at the time of the stabbing, around 10:30 p.m., and saw a man flee in a vehicle. Stubbs died of multiple stab wounds, and his wife Melissa, 27, was wounded in the attack. Police said she was treated for her injuries and released from an area hospital within days of the attack.

In the days after the stabbing, police identified a suspect in the killing and released a photo of Tareek S. Hendricks, 30, of Worcester, Mass., that police said was on a cell phone left at the scene of the crime.

Police said Hendricks, who goes by the street name “BK,” is about 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighs 200 pounds. He has the word “LIFE” tattooed on his left fingers. Police believe he was driven from the scene and dropped off along Washington Avenue in Portland.

Steve McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety, said Wednesday that the case is still under investigation by state and Westbrook police, but no suspect has been taken into custody in connection with the killing.

Police said Stubbs had an argument with another man prior to the stabbing, which they said could be drug-related. Police said Kendricks and Stubbs knew each other and had spent “significant” time together the day of the attack.

For his part, Maynard said it’s hard for him to see his friend’s death go unpunished for a year, adding that he would like to see some closure for Stubbs’ family members, who are still dealing with the pain of his death one year later.

“It kills me,” Maynard said. “This man was an extremely good friend of mine who taught me a lot, and I hate knowing that his life, to some people, could have been seen as disposable. He wasn’t a doctor, he wasn’t a lawyer, he wasn’t an upper-middle-class person, but he was certainly not a disposable human being and within myself I feel like they’ve just forgotten about Bobby. It hurts me personally very badly.”

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.