Mom, son ‘lucky to be alive’ after SUV rollover on I-95

State police say a Massachusetts woman and her 5-year-old son are lucky to be alive after their sport utility vehicle rolled over three times before bouncing off a guardrail and landing upside down in the southbound passing lane of the Maine Turnpike Sunday.

State Police Trooper David Alexander said the crash, which took place in Saco around 2 p.m., caused traffic to back up for about five miles.

The driver of the 2002 Chevrolet Blazer, 26-year-old Jaimie Overlock of Taunton, Mass., was transported to Maine Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries.

Her son, who was riding in a booster seat, was also taken to the hospital to be checked out. No one else was in the vehicle.

A registered nurse and the town of Wells’ fire chief happened to be following Overlock when the crash occurred and tended to her injuries while emergency crews made their way to the crash site, Alexander said.

“There were some good Samaritans today,” Alexander said.

The cause of the crash remains under investigation. Alexander said Overlock lost control of her vehicle.


Suspect in armed robbery of store arrested

A man suspected of holding up a Sanford convenience store on Saturday afternoon was arrested at his home early Sunday morning.

The Sanford Police Department said they arrested 28-year-old Michael Decelle of Kennebunk and charged him with robbery. He was being held Sunday night at the York County Jail on $100,000 cash bail.

Police said a man entered the Lil General convenience store in Sanford, displayed a semi-automatic pistol, emptied both cash drawers and stole cigarettes.

Police used surveillance camera footage, which they distributed to other police agencies, to identify the suspect.

They set up surveillance around Decelle’s home and at approximately 2:10 a.m. Sunday, he returned. After a brief foot chase, he was taken into custody.


Got ideas on voting process? Next public hearing is Thursday

A commission looking into how Maine’s election process can be improved plans its next hearing in Portland this week.

The five-member panel will hold a public hearing Thursday evening at the Portland Public Library.

At its first hearing last week in Augusta, the commission was told look for ways to make voting easier, not more difficult. Some of the more than 50 people attending also expressed concern about the possibility of a law requiring voters to show photo identification at the polls.

The commission was appointed in May with legislative orders to study voter participation, the system governing voter registration and the conduct of elections in Maine.

It will also hold hearings in Bangor, Farmington, Lewiston, Wells, Presque Isle and Machias and report to the Legislature no later than February.


Woman gets prison term for road rage stun gunning

A New Hampshire woman has been sentenced to 3 1/2 to 7 years in prison for using a stun gun on a pregnant woman during a road rage incident.

A Merrimack County Superior Court judge sentenced 24-year-old Carissa Williams of Pembroke on Friday.

Williams was convicted in February of assault, endangering the welfare of a child and criminal trespass for the March 2011 attack in Concord.

The Concord Monitor said Williams got out of her car on an Interstate 93 exit ramp, opened the door to Corinne Leclair-Holler’s car and shocked her in the thigh with a stun gun as Leclair-Holler screamed, “I’m pregnant, I’m pregnant.”

The incident began eight miles away, where Williams had yelled at Leclair-Holler to get off her phone as the two drove on Route 3.


Rescuers hike Mt. Chocorua to retrieve injured man, 38

New Hampshire officials say a Massachusetts man had to be rescued after injuring himself while hiking a steep trail in the White Mountains.

The Fish and Game Department says 38-year-old Richard Macedo of Methuen could no longer hike after falling at 3:30 p.m. Saturday. He was a half mile from the summit of Mount Chocorua in Albany.

After Macedo’s girlfriend called 911 on her cellphone, Fish and Game officers and volunteers from area rescue services and fire departments hiked up the mountain and carried Macedo 3 1/2 miles back down to safety.

When they reached bottom at 10 p.m., an ambulance took Macedo to Memorial Hospital in North Conway for evaluation and treatment.


State officials to discuss order to refund $50 million

New Hampshire officials are holding a public forum to discuss an order that the Local Government Center refund $50 million to communities.

State officials will discuss the significance of the order against the nonprofit that manages health insurance pools for public workers and retirees. The forum will be 7 p.m. Monday in the McConnell Center Cafeteria at 61 Locust St.

A hearings officer found that the LGC had violated state law by improperly collecting and retaining unnecessary surplus funds, improperly transferring assets and spending money for purposes beyond what is allowed by law.

The center had argued that it returned surpluses through the years in the form of rate reductions, saying communities preferred to have stability rather than get a check one year, and see a rate spike the next.


Museum hosting live chat with astronauts in space

The JFK Library and Museum will host a live chat via satellite with two astronauts on the International Space Station.

Boston audience members will be able to see and hear astronauts Suni Williams and Joe Acaba as the two participate in the interview from space on Monday.

Williams, who went to high school in Needham, Mass., will do her fifth walk in space a few days later to repair one of the space station’s main electrical units.

Library officials say the event, co-sponsored by NASA, is among those being held to commemorate President John F. Kennedy’s dedication to space exploration.

To register for free tickets or suggest interview questions for the forum, call (617) 514-1643 or click the events tab at for more information.


Police: Man in moped crash was drunk, spit at officer

A 27-year-old Vermont man is being held on $2,500 bail for allegedly crashing his moped while drunk and then spitting on the police officer who arrested him.

Vermont State Police were called at 7:20 p.m. Saturday to a report of a moped crash in Newbury. Officials say Kyle Barton of Ryegate crashed the moped while riding erratically in a car dealership parking lot.

Police say Barton was first charged with driving under the influence and later charged with assault on a law enforcement officer after spitting on an officer.

He’s also charged with resisting arrest and driving with a suspended license.

— From staff and news services