The Portland Pirates finished a successful home stretch in forgettable fashion Friday night.

The Bridgeport Sound Tigers pulled out a 4-1 win before a crowd of 2,830 at the Cross Insurance Center to snap the Pirates’ five-game winning streak.

“What’s disappointing about that is it’s a winnable game,” said Portland Coach Ray Edwards, whose team hadn’t lost at home since Dec. 19. “We were bad tonight. We had zero detail to our game. No second effort. No work ethic. It was just a bad effort by us, and yet we were still in a game that we didn’t play well.

“It was 2-1 going into the third period, and we played as bad as we had in a while. It was winnable game if we find a way to play the right way.”

The Pirates began the night tied with the Utica Comets for the AHL’s best home winning percentage. After a run of five straight home games, they play their next four on the road, starting Sunday in Rhode Island against the Providence Bruins before they fly to Newfoundland for a three-game series against the St. John’s IceCaps.

“It’s not the way we wanted to leave home,” defenseman Andrew Campbell said, “but the good thing is we’re right back at it Sunday to kind of right the ship before we head out east to Newfoundland.”

The Pirates held a 16-7 edge in shots during the first period, but they unable to get the puck past Bridgeport goalie Kevin Poulin, who finished with 34 saves.

“I could tell right from the first we weren’t sharp,” Edwards said. “The first faceoff, we don’t execute it. It was one of those games you just know your team is off, and you try to find ways to push the right buttons to get them back on (their game), but they just weren’t doing it tonight. (The players) wanted to do things their own way tonight, and we got beat.”

Bridgeport right wing Colton Gillies opened the scoring six minutes into the second period by slipping a rebound past goalie Mike McKenna for his fourth goal of the season. The goal came after McKenna stopped center Johan Sundstrom’s hard shot from the bottom of the left circle.

Nearly eight minutes of the second period went by before the Pirates got off a shot.

After Poulin stopped Francis Wathier from jamming the puck into the right side of the goal, Harry Zolnierczyk finished a two-on-one break the other way with a shot from the slot for his team-high 13th goal and a 2-0 lead.

Jordan Martinook made it 2-1 midway through the period when he scored his ninth goal on a breakaway while each team was short-handed.

Moments later, the Pirates went on a three-minute power play as Scooter Vaughn finished serving a five-minute major, but they managed just two shots on goal.

“Our power play has been a sore point for us all year,” Campbell said. “We are in the bottom third of the standings in power play. I actually thought our power play generated some chances. If we bear down on some of those chances, the game would have gone our way.”

Alan Quine put the game out of reach midway through the third period when he scored his ninth goal on a shot from the right circle, finishing another two-on-one break.

John Persson completed the scoring in the final minute when he sent a shot from the neutral zone into an empty net.