Gorham High School’s basketball and hockey teams were in action last weekend just before the holiday break began. The basketball teams faced off against Kennebunk while the hockey team met a strong team from Scarborough.

The boys’ basketball team made the trip down to Kennebunk last Thursday evening, but could not bring a win with them back to Gorham. They lost a 43-28 decision to fall to 1-4.

The Gorham Rams looked good in the first half of the game trailing by just one point after the first quarter at 10-9. Gorham actually took the lead in the second quarter and held a slim one-point advantage themselves at halftime (19-18).

After intermission, the offense disappeared for Gorham and they managed just nine points in the third and fourth quarters combined.

Kennebunk turned up the pressure defensively and they took advantage of Gorham’s many missed shots and they simply pulled away in the second half.

Andrew Dean led the way for Gorham with 17 points. They will resume their regular season schedule Tuesday, Jan. 2, when they host Marshwood.

The girls’ basketball team had a much better result against Kennebunk on Friday night in Gorham. On the strength of a 13-4 first quarter, Gorham roared past the visitors for a 55-45 win.

Kennebunk fought their way back into the game in the second quarter and trailed by just six points at halftime, 25-19. Gorham then removed all doubt as to who might win this one when they went on a 20-9 run in the third quarter to take control of the contest. The deciding run was buoyed by Caitlyn Butterfield’s eight points.

Kennebunk continued to battle in the fourth quarter and they gained back seven points. But it was too little too late and the Gorham lead was too big.

With the win Gorham improves to 4-1. Rachele Burns paced Gorham with 16 points and she also had 17 rebounds.

The Gorham ice hockey team suffered their second loss in a row when they lost to Scarborough by a 9-2 score on Saturday.

The Red Storm jumped out to a 4-1 lead in the first period and never looked back. Mike Dakers had a hat trick for the Storm.

Gorham got one goal in the first from Justin Grandmaison and another in the second period from Alex Dahms, but they allowed four more Scarborough goals in the third.

Gorham drops to 2-4 and will resume the regular season against Biddeford on Wednesday, Jan. 3.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.