ADDRESS: 580 Forest Ave.

DENOMINATION/AFFILIATION: Parish in the Episcopal Diocese of Maine.

HISTORY: In 1884, the Rev. Charles T. Ogden and his wife, Anna, lived in what was then the town of Deering. Ogden saw a need for worship and Christian education in his neighborhood and opened his home for religious classes for the boys of the Woodfords area.

When the classes outgrew the Ogdens’ home, a property on the corner of Forest Avenue and Coyle Street was purchased.

In 1891, the cornerstone for Trinity Chapel was laid, and in 1896, the chapel was dedicated.

It became a mission in union with the Diocese of Maine, and in 1911, Trinity became a parish. Thirty years later, the parish had grown from 31 communicants to 385.

In its nearly 100 years, Trinity has had 12 rectors. The Rev. Lawrence B. Weeks has served the parish since 2002.

Trinity Church has grown in other ways since becoming a recognized parish in the diocese.

In 1960, a wing was added to the original building. In 1965, an addition extended the original chapel, with its entrance on Coyle Street toward Forest Avenue. The new sanctuary is large enough to seat at least 350 people.

In 1966, Trinity’s pipe organ was installed. In 2000, a major capital improvement plan provided for a number of renovations, including handicapped accessibility from the church parking lot.

The tradition of Sunday school classes continues for children in kindergarten through high school. Adult classes are also offered. During Lent, a class has been held after church on Sundays, and a study class meets Wednesdays.

Trinity is host to an ongoing education for ministry class, and there is an informal discussion of the Sunday lectionary after the service.

Trinity’s Chartres-style labyrinth is made available for public walks on a regular basis.

Once a year, the church hosts a unique weekend retreat for up to 100 teenagers from all over Maine. The “Teens Encounter Christ” retreat is under way this weekend, with participants working, worshipping and even sleeping at the church.

Because of the retreat, there will be no morning services Sunday, but there will be a service of Holy Communion at 4 p.m., and the public is welcome to attend.

Trinity’s outreach touches many, from the Preble Street Soup Kitchen and Project FEED to St. Elizabeth’s Essentials Pantry and beyond. The church opens its doors to many groups for their regular meetings. Trinity Day Care Center, a not-for-profit facility for 3- to 5-year-olds, uses the church’s undercroft five days a week.

Trinity is also known for its old-fashioned Christmas fair on the first Saturday in December and its June yard sale.

A breakfast is held on the first Sunday of the month, and there is an annual church picnic. The recently revived men’s club meets monthly for supper and a guest speaker.

WORSHIP SERVICES: 8 and 10 a.m. Sunday. The summer schedule may vary. Sunday school begins at 9:45 a.m. Nursery care is available for the 10 a.m. service.

Several services are also being held during Holy Week, including a Seder meal at 5:30 p.m. on Maundy Thursday, April 1. The meal will feature traditional Passover foods and Haggadah readings.

Anyone may attend, but reservations must be made with the church office no later than March 29. A service and ceremonial stripping of the altar will follow in the sanctuary.

CONTACT: 772-7421; trinitychurchportland.org