The Plummer-Motz School in Falmouth is closed today after a small fire in the lobby spread smoke in the building.

Firefighters were called to the school on Middle Road at 2 a.m. for a fire alarm and found a small fire on a table in the lobby. Fire officials said it appeared a malfunctioning heater motor caused sparks to ignite material on the table.

There was little damage but school officials opted to call off school today to air out the building and clean up.

School is expected to resume Monday.