LOS ANGELES – Michael Jackson fans from New York to Tokyo held quiet tributes on the first anniversary of his death Friday, a day his father marked by filing a wrongful-death lawsuit against the doctor charged with giving the gifted but troubled pop superstar a lethal dose of sedatives.

In Japan, hundreds of people lighted candles in Jackson’s memory. In the Los Angeles suburb of Glendale, hundreds more filed silently through the gates of Forest Lawn Cemetery to pay respects to the man they called the King of Pop. Dozens of white doves were released.

“He’s been my idol all my life since I can remember. I feel like I haven’t had closure,” said Erick Dominguez, who traveled more than 80 miles to the cemetery from his home in Victorville to pay his respects.

Several of Jackson’s relatives visited the mausoleum — off limits to the public — where his body is entombed. Brother Tito shook hands with fans as he arrived, and brother Jermaine rolled down a window and waved as the family left in a fleet of luxury vehicles.

In Jackson’s hometown of Gary, Ind., his mother, Katherine, was among hundreds gathered for a tribute.

“I’m very proud to be here and will be coming here every year because we love him,” Leonia Lowery, 69, a retiree from Chicago, said as Jackson’s music was played over loudspeakers.

Jackson died June 25, 2009, at age 50, just before he was to begin a comeback tour. Dr. Conrad Murray has pleaded not guilty to felony involuntary manslaughter in his death. Authorities say Murray provided the singer with a mix of sedatives — including the anesthetic propofol — that killed him.

Jackson’s father, Joe Jackson, filed his lawsuit against Murray in federal court in Los Angeles.

The complaint, which seeks more than $75,000, accuses Murray of professional negligence and contends the physician tried to conceal his administration of propofol after Jackson’s death. Propofol is normally administered only in hospital settings, but Murray had been providing Jackson the drug in the bedroom of the singer’s rented mansion in Los Angeles.

His civil attorney, Charles Peckham, issued a statement saying Murray “has not been found guilty of anything and we believe his innocence will be proven in a court of law.”

Prince Harry handles a rifle 

WEST POINT, N.Y. – Prince Harry showed he knows his way around a rifle as he joined cadets in training at the U.S. Military Academy on Friday at the start of his three-day visit to New York.

Harry, who served in Afghanistan in 2008, fired an M4 rifle along with West Point cadets involved in a firing range training exercise. He and the cadets shot at pop-up silhouette targets anywhere from 50 to 300 meters away.

Crouched in the gravel and then later lying down, Harry had to hit the “enemy” targets but refrain from shooting at the yellow-banded “friendlies.” Col. Casey Haskins said he hit multiple targets.

Redford calls for arts funding 

BALTIMORE – Robert Redford says notions that the arts are trivial or worthless are driven by “small minds.”

The 73-year-old actor spoke Friday to about 900 attendees at an Americans for the Arts summit in Baltimore. He called on them to dispel the “myths” holding back government arts funding.

Recently, Redford founded the Redford Center in California to use the arts to push issues such as clean energy.

He started the Sundance Film Festival with a National Endowment for the Arts grant. Now it generates $90 million over 10 days for Utah.

He also has been raising money for the Gulf Coast’s recovery from the oil spill, a week after finishing his latest movie production.

Redford said he hopes “The Conspirator,” about the trial of Mary Surratt after Abraham Lincoln’s assassination, may be released this year.