Updated at 7:30 p.m. to include condition of hospitalized man

BERWICK — A preschool child playing with the buttons of a stove ignited a fire that damaged a home in Berwick and sent three people to the hospital.

The fire broke out at 7 a.m. Sunday when the child, 2½ years old, pressed buttons on a stove in the basement, which ignited a photocopier set on top of it, according to an investigation by the State Fire Marshal’s Office.

The fire at the house on Old Pine Hill Road was brought under control in 30 minutes but three people were treated for smoke inhalation. One of them, Rolly Tibbetts, 44, remains hospitalized in stable condition at Wentworth-Douglass Hospital in Dover, N.H., for treatment of smoke inhalation.

The boy and his grandfather, Kenneth Tibbetts, 80, were treated and released for smoke inhalation.