SHERMAN — Authorities say about 200 pigs died in a fire at an eastern Maine farm that may have been started by an electrical malfunction.

Sherman Fire Chief Todd Hayes says no one was injured in the blaze reported by farmer Sam Sides at about 11:15 p.m. Sunday.

Sides says he got up late Sunday night to check on two sows about to give birth. Instead he watched his livelihood go up in flames.

Hayes says about 30 firefighters from Sherman and surrounding communities responded, but the 70-by-170-foot barn was fully engulfed by the time they arrived and the animals were trapped inside.

Hayes says the farmer described arcing wires inside the building before calling 911.

The farm supplied pork products to about 70 Maine grocery stores.

The family has insurance.