NEW YORK — Current TV has dismissed Keith Olbermann from its talk-show lineup after less than a year.

The left-leaning cable network announced late Friday afternoon that “Countdown,” the show Olbermann has hosted on Current since last June, would be replaced with a show hosted by former New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer, beginning Friday night.

“Viewpoint with Eliot Spitzer” will air weeknights at 8 p.m. Spitzer had a short-lived talk show on CNN in that same time slot, and briefly competed with Olbermann.

The sometimes volatile Olbermann came to Current last year as the centerpiece of its new prime-time initiative after a stormy eight-year stint at MSNBC – his second – followed by his abrupt departure in January 2011.

Shortly after, Current announced his hiring, as the start of an effort to transform the network’s prime-time slate into progressive talk. His official title was that of chief news officer, charged with providing editorial guidance for all of the network’s political news, commentary and current events programming.

In a statement, Current TV founders Al Gore and Joel Hyatt said the network was “founded on the values of respect, openness, collegiality and loyalty to our viewers. Unfortunately these values are no longer reflected in our relationship with Keith Olbermann and we have ended it.”

They offered no details, but it is known that the temperamental Olbermann had clashed with his bosses.

During the primary season he declined to host additional hours of election coverage in certain cases and missed a number of broadcasts, as well as complaining about technical problems he said undermined his show.

“We are confident that our viewers will be able to count on Gov. Spitzer to deliver critical information on a daily basis,” Gore and Hyatt said.

In a statement posted online, Olbermann said “the claims against me implied in Current’s statement are untrue and will be proved so in the legal actions I will be filing against them presently.”