An intense fire in a conveyor belt at the Maine Energy Recovery Corp. kept Biddeford firefighters busy for several hours Monday night.

The fire broke out just after 7:30 p.m. in a belt that carries processed trash to the tipping floor, said Capt. John Pothier. The fire spread to trash the belt was carrying, and the fire spread to multiple floors at the facility, he said.
 
The fire damaged the belt and other equipment but nobody was injured, Pothier said. Saco firefighters assisted and the crews cleared at about 11 p.m., he said.