GORHAM – A fire in a dishwasher caused extensive damage to a home on Hanna Drive on Saturday, fire officials said.

Deputy Fire Chief Ken Fickett said the fire at 16 Hanna Drive was reported shortly after 6 p.m.

He said the family had an afternoon meal then left to go to a Sea Dogs game in Portland, turning on the dishwasher before they left. A neighbor saw smoke from a window, went over to the house and felt a doorknob, which was hot, and then called the fire department.

Fickett said the fire caused about $70,000 worth of damage in the one-story home, much of it because of the heavy black smoke produced by burning plastic parts in the dishwasher.

He said the family will be staying with friends while the damage is fixed.