WESTBROOK – A fire in the laundry room at the Animal Refuge League on Wednesday caused smoke damage but did not injure any animals or workers.

Shelter officials said in a posting on Facebook that all linens and 85 percent of the shelter’s dog toys were lost in the fire. They are appealing to the public for help replacing the items.

Fire Chief Michael Pardue said the fire started in laundry inside a dryer. Firefighters put it out quickly, he said, and there was no structural damage to the building.

He said the building was evacuated and about 10 animals were moved from pens near the laundry room to keep them from breathing smoke.

Pardue said the fire damage was limited to a dryer unit and firefighters helped to vent the smoke from the room.

The Animal Refuge League is asking the public for donations of towels, sheets, pillowcases, blankets, comforters and dog and cat beds. Donations can be dropped off at 449 Stroudwater St. in Westbrook.

Patriot Subaru on Route 1 in Saco also will collect linens for the Animal Refuge League.