Second Apple-Samsung trial gets underway

A federal judge and lawyers for the world’s two biggest smartphone makers have begun picking a jury to determine how much Samsung Electronics owes Apple for copying vital iPhone and IPad features.

The retrial to determine damages began Tuesday morning in San Jose, Calif.

A previous jury had awarded Apple $1.05 billion after determining 26 Samsung products had infringed six Apple patents. But a judge found the jury miscalculated $400 million in damages for 13 products and ordered a new trial for a recalculation.

Starbucks to pay Kraft $2.76 billion over dispute

An arbitrator has concluded that Starbucks must pay $2.76 billion to settle a dispute with Kraft over coffee distribution.

The two consumer products companies had been locked in a fight for three years after Starbucks Corp. fired Kraft as its distributor of packaged coffee to grocery chains.

The arbitrator determined that Starbucks must pay $2.23 billion in damages and $527 million in attorney fees, Starbucks said Tuesday.

Mondelez International Inc., which spun off Kraft Foods Group in October 2012, will get the award. Mondelez said that it plans use the money left after expenses and taxes to buy back stock.

Protests close at least 200 factories in Bangladesh

Riot police fired tear gas to battle thousands of stone-throwing garment workers who rampaged through two industrial towns in Bangladesh during a protest over wages Tuesday that closed at least 200 factories and left dozens of people injured, police said.

The protests highlighted the poor working conditions in an industry that earns Bangladesh $20 billion in exports yearly but whose workers are the lowest paid in the world.

Thousands of angry workers hurled stones at security forces and attacked factories in the towns of Savar and Ashulia outside the capital, Dhaka, Industrial Police Director Mustafizur Rahman said. At least 200 factories closed in the second day of the protest, and 80 people were injured over two days.

Tesla CEO shoots down recall rumors after fires

Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk says the company “definitely” won’t recall its Model S electric car despite three vehicle fires in the last six weeks.

“The headlines are extremely misleading. If fire risk is your concern, you would have a great deal of difficulty being in any better car than the Model S,” Musk said.

There is one fire for every 1,300 gas-powered cars on U.S. roads, and for the Model S, it’s closer to one in 8,000, Musk said during an interview Tuesday. He underscored that none of the drivers in the three cases was injured.