BRUNSWICK — Jordan Smith had four goals and four assists Thursday night, and the Bowdoin women’s lacrosse team rolled to a 20-2 victory against the University of New England.
Lindsay Picard and Betsy Sachs added three goals apiece for the Polar Bears (1-1), who outshot the Nor’easters, 29-8.
Hannah Tavella and Gina Newsome scored for UNE (3-1).
(6) VILLANOVA 77, XAVIER 70: Darrun Hilliard scored 19 points and Villanova (27-3, 15-2) clinched the outright Big East championship for the first time in 32 years by holding off Xavier (20-11, 10-8) at Cincinnati.
JayVaughn Pinkston added 15 points, eight in the last 3:20, James Bell finished with 12 and Ryan Arcidiacono chipped in with 11 as the Wildcats extended their school record for regular-season wins with their fifth straight and 11th in their last 12 games.
(15) CINCINNATI 97, (20) MEMPHIS 84: Sean Kilpatrick scored a season-high 34 points in his final home game, and three senior starters steadied Cincinnati (25-5, 14-3) to a victory against Memphis (22-8, 11-6) that left the American Athletic Conference race tied with a game to go.
The Bearcats remained tied atop the first-year league with No. 11 Louisville. The Cardinals won 84-71 at No. 18 Southern Methodist on Wednesday night and finish at home against No. 19 Connecticut. The Bearcats close the regular season at Rutgers.
(22) MICHIGAN STATE 86, (24) IOWA 76: Keith Appling scored in double figures for the first time in more than five weeks and Michigan State (23-7, 12-5 Big Ten) looked healthier than it had in months in beating Iowa (20-10, 9-8) at East Lansing, Mich.
Appling showed his old aggressiveness before hip and wrist injuries and scored 12 points for the Spartans. Travis Trice, Appling’s backup, was 3 of 4 from 3-point range and had 16 points, and Adreian Payne added 14 points in his final home game.
(13) NORTH CAROLINA 69, WAKE FOREST 65: Freshman Diamond DeShields scored 17 points and hit the go-ahead 3-pointer with 1:44 left to help North Carolina (23-8) beat Wake Forest (15-16) in the second round of the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament at Greensboro, N.C.
The sixth-seeded Tar Heels trailed 39-27 at halftime and 62-61 before DeShields’ 3. She hit two clinching free throws with 10.4 seconds left, sending UNC into Friday’s quarterfinals against eighth-ranked and third-seeded Maryland.
(23) IOWA 81, ILLINOIS 62: Bethany Doolittle scored a career-high 26 points, hitting 10 of 14 shots, as fifth-seeded Iowa (24-7) defeated Illinois (9-21) in the first round of the Big 10 tournament at Indianapolis.
Melissa Dixon added 15 points and Ally Disterhoft 14 with 12 rebounds for the Hawkeyes.
OHIO STATE: Safety Vonn Bell, figured to be a potential starter, will miss the rest of spring practice after knee surgery.