Monday, May 20, 2013
The Associated Press
CONCORD, N.H. — The flu season is more severe in New Hampshire than in recent years, but the state public health director says it's not yet to the point of alarming.
Dr. Jose Montero says the state has seen 14 adult influenza-related deaths so far. He said that's an unusually high number this early in the season. There have been no reports of any child deaths.
Montero says many hospitals around the state are reporting an increase in people seeking treatment for flu-like illness. He also said there have been 40 institutional outbreaks, the majority of them at nursing homes and long-term care centers.
The Health Department is encouraging anyone 6 months and up to get vaccinated. A spokeswoman said there are no vaccine shortages.