November 20, 2013

911 transcript: Caller reported ‘death threats’ before Biddeford killings

Despite that call, a police official says the man told responding officers he didn’t feel at risk, so they left. Minutes later, two people were dead.

By David Hench
Staff Writer

(Continued from page 2)

click image to enlarge

The 911 call transcript shows landlord James Pak, left, had made death threats before Thompson and Alivia Welch were killed.

click image to enlarge

James Pak

Related headlines

TO READ Derrick Thompson's 911 call to the Regional Communication Center in Gray, click here.

TO READ Derrick Thompson's 911 call routed to Biddeford Police Department, click here.

WARNING: These transcripts contain graphic language.

The dispatcher asked her to call out to them, to find out if they would respond.

“Alivia? Derrick? They’re not!” she told the dispatcher, crying.

The dispatcher kept up a dialogue with Johnson, eliciting information on the layout of the apartment and where its entrances were. The dispatcher then told her that police and an ambulance were on their way.

Johnson begged them repeatedly – 21 times, according to the transcript – to hurry.

Meanwhile, officers were trying to find Pak, to determine whether he was still armed and to make sure he would not try to shoot the first responders.

One of the officers who went into the apartment told Johnson that another officer was coming to help her. “I just don’t want to leave my position and get shot,” the officer said.

Eventually, two officers got Johnson into an ambulance. It is not clear whether Pak had been taken into custody at that point.

In the transcript of his wife’s 911 call, Pak told his wife that he wouldn’t shoot police but he refused to put the gun down. He threatened to shoot himself, saying, “I’m dead anyway. I’m gonna die, I don’t care nothin’. I don’t care nothin’. ”

Pak then took the phone and told the dispatcher that his wife had tried to protect the people he shot, and he would not put the gun down for her. He also said Johnson and her family were problem tenants.

Pak was arrested three hours after the shootings.

David Hench can be contacted at 791-6327 or at:

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)