June 26, 2013

Convicted murderer attacked, killed at Maine State Prison

By Doug Harlow dharlow@centralmaine.com
Staff Writer

(Continued from page 1)

click image to enlarge

Alan D. Powell Jr.

Contributed photo

click image to enlarge

Guy Hunnewell III enters Somerset County Superior Court in Skowhegan in 1999 to be sentenced for the murder of Stephanie Gilliland the year before.

Staff file photo by Ron Maxwell

Additional Photos Below

Related headlines

Related Documents

PDF: Powell gets life sentence (1991 article)

Hunnewell killed Gilliland, a former girlfriend, in a jealous rage, according to Sentinel reports. The two had dated and worked together at Sonny’s Pizza on Main Street in Fairfield.

Gilliland’s body was found inside Hunnewell’s apartment at 50 High St. in Fairfield. She had been stabbed several times, police said.

Hunnewell pleaded guilty to the murder in November 1998 and the sentencing judge described the attack on Gilliland as vicious and premeditated.

In an interview in December 1999, Hunnewell’s father, Guy Hunnewell Jr., owner of a mud run race track in Embden, said his son’s mother died when the boy was 2. The Hunnewells returned to Maine to the family farm in 1976 and the elder Hunnewell remarried.

Contacted Wednesday, Guy Hunnewell Jr. said he had not been told of Tuesday’s attack on Powell.
He said his son, whom everyone called Chip, was an average student at Carrabec High School in North Anson, but a strong athlete, excelling in baseball, basketball and soccer.

After graduation, Chip Hunnewell did odd jobs as a laborer until landing a work in 1990 at Sonny’s Pizza, where he met Gilliland.

In October 1999, Hunnewell was arrested in Waterville on charges that he assaulted and terrorized a man he thought had been seeing Gilliland.

Doug Harlow — 612-2367

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Additional Photos

click image to enlarge

Martha Daigle months before she was murdered in June 1989.

Staff file photo by Ron Maxwell

click image to enlarge

Trooper Joseph Mills II leads Guy E. Hunnewell III from the State Police Criminal Investigation Division in Augusta where he was detained after being arrested at the Comfort Inn in 1998. Hunnewell later pleaded guilty to murder.

Staff file photo by Andy Molloy

click image to enlarge

Guy E. Hunnewell III is arraigned in Somerset County Superior Court in Skowhegan in 1998 on a murder charge.

Staff file photo by Ron Maxwell

click image to enlarge

Bobbi Frappier stands outside the Waterville apartment building known as the "Beehive" on Wednesday. Frappier was 12-years-old when he found his grandmother Martha Daigle who had been murdered in the building in 1989. Alan Powell was convicted for the murder and died at the Maine State Prison Tuesday after an altercation with convicted murderer Guy Hunnewell lll.

Staff photo by David Leaming


Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)