September 1, 2012

Former housemate says 10-year-old injured another baby in June

Ashley Tenney says her 8-month-old daughter suffered seizures and was hospitalized after being alone with the girl who was charged with manslaughter in the July death of an infant.

By Matt Hongoltz-Hetling
Staff Writer

(Continued from page 1)

Tenney and Hopkins rushed the baby to the emergency room at MaineGeneral Medical Center in Waterville after she had what Tenney called a seizure.

"She was on her father's lap, and her head just dropped back, and she rapidly started shaking," Tenney said. "The first one lasted like 20 seconds."

At the hospital, doctors tried to treat her with anti-seizure medications, Tenney said, but the drugs didn't help. Jaylynn was acting strangely, Tenney said, and the doctors couldn't say exactly why.

"If her head went to the left her arm went to the right and vice versa," she said. "Her heart rate was high and they were worried and didn't know what to do for her."

After consultations with other physicians in Portland, Bangor, and Boston, Tenney said, Jaylynn was transferred to Maine Medical Center in Portland shortly after midnight.

Staff members at Maine Medical Center said Saturday they could not confirm the visit without violating patient privacy rights.

According to Tenney and Hopkins, doctors asked her what types of medications were in Huard's house. When Tenney mentioned a medication for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder used by the 10-year-old, doctors asked her what the drug was.

Tenney didn't know, so Hopkins said he texted the question to Huard, who texted back the name of the medication. The doctors then confirmed that the same drug was in Jaylynn's system, according to Tenney and Hopkins.

Nicole Greenaway, the mother of Brooklyn Foss-Greenaway, has said that state police told her the same medication was found in Brooklyn's system after she died.

Tenney said "there wasn't any way" that Jaylynn could have ingested the medication on her own. Tenney said that Jaylynn was fortunate to survive the incident and leave the hospital two days later.

Tenney said she and the 10-year-old were interviewed June 23 by workers with the DHHS Office of Child and Family Services, and that Hopkins and Huard were interviewed during the week of June 25. About 10 days before Brooklyn's death, Tenney said, all four people were told that they were not to leave young children in the 10-year-old's care.

She produced a "safety assessment and planning form" in an envelope from DHHS postmarked July 20 and addressed to her, that states, "Jaylynn ingested amphetamines" as an item under the heading "Past Harm, Future Danger, and Complicating Factors."

According to the form, in order for the office to close the case on the incident, the 10-year-old "will not have any contact with Jaylynn."

Tenney said she started looking for a new place to live after the incident and moved out with help from family members on July 9, the day after 3-month-old Brooklyn Foss-Greenaway died.

Tenney said in a previous interview that on the night of Brooklyn's death, she and Huard were downstairs in Huard's house while the 10-year-old was upstairs in the bedroom with the baby. She said she fell asleep about 11 p.m. but woke up at 1:30 a.m. to hear crying, footsteps pounding on the stairs and someone uttering the word "dead."

Tenney said Friday that she never discouraged Brooklyn's mother, Nicole Greenaway, from bringing Brooklyn and her sister to the Huard house because she thought that Huard had told Greenaway about the incident involving Jaylynn. Tenney said she considered it was Greenaway's decision to make.

Greenaway said Friday that she knew Jaylynn had been in the hospital, but she didn't know details that would have given her cause to worry.

"I had heard about the incident with the baby," Greenaway said. "Amanda (Huard, the 10-year-old's mother) didn't tell us everything that happened."

Greenaway has said she holds Huard responsible for her child Brooklyn's death.

(Continued on page 3)

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)