February 27

Photo: Hollis farmhouse fire leaves icy wake

Everyone gets out safely, but the building is destroyed.

John Ewing
Staff Photographer

An early 1800s-era farmhouse on Cape Road in Hollis was destroyed by fire Wednesday afternoon. The fire is believed to have been caused by a wood pellet stove that malfunctioned. 


The house, which sits on 22 acres and includes a horse barn, is owned by Marc Tardif, a horse breeder, and his wife, who live there with their teenage daughter and also take care of several elderly residents. Everyone got out of the house safely but the structure is a total loss, fire officials said. 


The house had recently been on the market with an asking price of $499,000. 


Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)