August 29, 2012

Police investigating death of Maine infant as homicide

Three-month-old Brooklyn Foss-Greenaway died July 8 after her parents made arrangements for the child to stay overnight with a baby sitter.

By Matt Hongoltz-Hetling
Staff Writer

CLINTON — The death of infant girl from Clinton who died after staying with a baby sitter in Fairfield is under investigation as a homicide, according to police investigators.

click image to enlarge

Brooklyn Foss-Greenaway

Contributed photo

Three-month-old Brooklyn Foss-Greenaway died July 8 after her parents made arrangements for the child to stay overnight with a baby sitter.

Maine Department of Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland said Tuesday that police are now investigating the death as a homicide and are working with the chief medical examiner's office. In Maine, the death of any child three and younger automatically triggers an investigation. The current investigation is the result of that preliminary investigation.

No charges have been filed in connection with the death.

"There is more work to do," McCausland said. "We will continue to pursue the answers that we're seeking."

On the night of Saturday, July 7, the child's parents, Nicole and Tim Greenaway, of Clinton, had arranged for the baby to spend the night with Amanda Huard. According to their Facebook pages, Nicole Greenaway and Huard both work at Elmwood Primary Care in Waterville.

At 1:34 a.m., Huard told police that the baby wasn't breathing and was unresponsive during an emergency medical call from Huard's Center Street home.

Units arrived at the home six minutes later and the infant was pronounced dead at MaineGeneral Medical Center's Thayer campus later that morning.

Since the night her daughter died, Nicole Greenaway has referred to the death several times on her Facebook page. Previous posts have expressed grief and a desire for justice, while a more recent post from Monday night made accusations related to the death. Calls to Nicole Greenaway were not returned Tuesday.

Brooklyn was born on the morning of April 4 and weighed 9 pounds, 2.8 ounces, according to her birth announcement. A memorial service was held for her on July 14.

While autopsy results have not been released, Sgt. Jason Richards of the Maine State Police said in the days following the death that the results would determine the direction of the investigation. Earlier this month Richards said that investigators were awaiting lab test results from the medical examiner's office.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)