May 11, 2013

Two accused of setting third fire in Lewiston

By Edward D. Murphy emurphy@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

and Matt Byrne mbyrne@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

(Continued from page 1)

click image to enlarge

Bryan Wood, left, and Brian Morin

click image to enlarge

Firefighters spray water on the roof of a vacant apartment building on Bartlett Street in Lewiston on May 6, 2013 following a third major fire in eight days in the downtown area.

Tim Greenway/Staff Photographer

Additional Photos Below

"It's been a long week," the police chief said. "Some people should sleep easier tonight."

However, Bussiere said police will continue, for the foreseeable future, their stepped-up patrols in the downtown neighborhoods where the fires have struck.

MATCHING MONEY FROM LEPAGE

In another development Friday, a day after legislative leaders voted to send $30,000 from their own budget to assist Lewiston residents displaced by the three major fires, Gov. Paul LePage said he plans to match that amount.

The announcement brings the total of state funds pledged for assistance to $60,000 so far, after the string of blazes displaced nearly 200 residents and destroyed nearly 80 apartments in an eight-day span. 

"We're still working out the details, but the governor is trying to figure out the best way to get those funds to Lewiston," Peter Steele, the governor's communications director, said Friday.

The move is a reversal of LePage's stance Tuesday, when, during a visit to the sites of the fires, he was asked whether he would tap any discretionary funds to assist the city where he grew up.

His response was: "What discretionary funding? If there's discretionary funding -- I've been here more than two years and I haven't found any."

LePage spokeswoman Adrienne Bennett explained at the time that the governor was distinguishing between discretionary money and the contingency account, which has about $250,000. When he was asked about it, he thought the contingency fund was depleted. 

Bennett said at the time that the governor didn't plan to use that account for the Lewiston fire victims, a decision that drew criticism from some lawmakers. 

On Friday, Steele said the governor's contribution will be pulled from his contingency fund, matching $30,000 approved Thursday by the Legislative Council, which is made up of Democratic and Republican leaders in the House and Senate.

"Something that is getting lost is that the state did jump into action, so to say that the governor hasn't done anything is inaccurate," Steele said.

Steele said it had not been decided yet where the $30,000 from the governor will go.

The Legislature's $30,000 will go to the city of Lewiston for disbursement to families to help them pay security deposits on new apartments and, in some cases, the first month's rent.

The news was welcome at the Androscoggin Bank Collisee, the impromptu shelter for the mostly Somali immigrants who were displaced by the second blaze on May 3, which destroyed four structures on Pierce Street. About 29 people were still staying at the shelter, according to the Red Cross. 

Fatuma Hussein, director of the United Somali Women of Maine, who spent the day on the phone with landlords and state housing inspectors to help some of the remaining refugees find apartments, said that although housing remains the biggest concern, the victims will continue to need furniture, beds, linens, and support through the transition.

"There is hope for these families," Hussein said, lauding the aid organizations who have come together. "There's also a lot of gratitude," she said.

Sue Charron, Lewiston's director of social services, said the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development on Friday granted a waiver to the Somali refugees who were displaced by the fire on Pierce Street and whose subsidized housing status was tied to the buildings that burned.

The waiver from HUD allows the tenants to bring the subsidy with them to a new apartment until the owner of the previous complex rebuilds.

(Continued on page 3)

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors


Additional Photos

click image to enlarge

This photo is of Brian Morin, 29, one of the suspects in Monday's fire in downtown Lewiston. It is a still image taken from a WGME video interview on Monday, May 6, 2013, hours after the fire.

click image to enlarge

Firefighters battle a fire that destroyed multiple vacant apartment buildings on Bartlett Street in Lewiston on May 6, 2013.

Tim Greenway/Staff Photographer

click image to enlarge

Lt. James Pelletier of the Lewiston Fire Dept. completes a vacant building inspection on Walnut Street Friday, May 10, 2013.

Gabe Souza/Staff Photographer

click image to enlarge

A sign marks a building condemned at 47 Knox Street in Lewiston Friday, May 10, 2013.

Gabe Souza / Staff Photographer

  


Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)