February 14, 2013

Woman burned in weekend fire in critical condition in Boston

By David Hench dhench@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

A Portland woman who was badly burned in a fire over the weekend is in critical condition at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.

Julia Ball, 56 of 250 Burnside Ave., was flown by LifeFlight helicopter from Maine Medical Center to the Boston hospital after receiving burns over 70 to 80 percent of her body.

The fire started in the living room and investigators with the State Fire Marshal's Office say it may have started when smoking materials fell into the couch. They did not know whether Ball had fallen asleep or left the room, giving a chance for the smoldering fire to grow.

When Ball discovered the fire she called her sister than tried to put it out herself, investigators said. When her sister arrived, Ball was outside and on fire and she put her out.

The fire broke out just before noon and firefighters were able to save the building but the living room was extensively damaged.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)