February 4, 2013

Local & State Dispatches

From staff and news services

(Continued from page 1)


Man sentenced to 30 years for abuse of 7-year-old boy

The deputy district attorney says a 30-year sentence imposed on a man who pleaded guilty to gross sexual assault and sexual exploitation of a minor is the longest sentence imposed for a sex crime in Penobscot County.

The sentence was imposed Monday on 28-year-old Terrence Pinkham of Bangor, who along with his girlfriend sexually abused a 7-year-old boy and recorded it on a cellphone.

She was sentenced last month to 23 years in prison for her role.

Defense lawyer Aaron Fethke said Monday that Pinkham accepted responsibility and felt that the sentence was appropriate.

Deputy District Attorney Mike Roberts tells WLBZ-TV that Pinkham will be required to spend 15 years on probation after he's released from prison. By then, Pinkham will be in his 50s.


Fire damages home on Farview Drive

Sanford firefighters battled a blaze Monday morning that badly damaged a ranch-style home at 87 Farview Drive Monday morning.

Neighbors spotted smoke coming from the house at 11:17 a.m. and when the first call firefighter arrived, there was smoke coming from the eaves and from around the garage door, said Fire Chief Jeff Rowe.

The firefighter alerted the homeowner, who was able to retrieve his two dogs and get out of the house. He was then taken to Goodall Hospital for evaluation but was able to return to the scene soon afterward, Rowe said. The fire got into the attic space, making it difficult for firefighters to get access to it, Rowe said, and strong winds fanned the flames, adding to the challenge.

Firefighters had the blaze under control by noon, but there was a large hole in the roof, Rowe said. The Red Cross was helping the young couple that lives there, he said.

Investigators from Sanford and the State Fire Marshal's Office are working to determine the cause, he said.


Police investigating crash that sent two to hospital

Two 19-year-old youths were hospitalized following a weekend crash in Lincoln and police say speed and alcohol are believed to be factors.

Police tell WABI-TV the 19-year old male driver was ejected from his pickup truck after striking an embankment and a tree at about 8 a.m. Sunday.

He was taken to Penobscot Valley Hospital, then flown to Eastern Maine Medical Center.

Police say the 19-year old female passenger was also brought to Penobscot Valley Hospital, but has been released. No names were released. The crash remains under investigation.


Police: Man struck, killed by train ignored warnings

Police say an unidentified man was killed in Lewiston when he failed to heed warnings and was struck by a train.

Lt. Michael McGonagle said the man was hit by a slow-moving train while walking along some tracks by Whipple Street around 3:30 a.m. Sunday.

McGonagle told the Sun Journal that the conductor blew the train whistle and applied the brakes when he saw the man on the tracks. But he said the man ignored the warnings, and the train couldn't stop in time.


Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)