October 25, 2013

Dispute grows in SAD 6 superintendent case

Frank Sherburne has been cleared of any impropriety, which the school board points out in an online letter that criticizes the teachers union.

By Leslie Bridgers lbridgers@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

Officials in School Administrative District 6 and the district’s teachers union clashed Thursday over the motive for the union’s allegations last spring that the superintendent had improper communications with a student.

Photo from MSAD 6 website Frank Sherburne, superintendent of MSAD 6 recently released an email to parents with details of his working schedule to combat rumors that he had been put on administrative leave.

Related Documents

Letter to MSAD 6 citizens
Letter to school board members

A letter posted on the Bonny Eagle school district’s website and sent to parents Thursday said the allegations, made public in a Portland Press Herald article the same day, were untrue and were a product of the union’s resistance to change.

The Saco Valley Teachers’ Association responded by saying it doesn’t know what resistance the board was referring to and “the letter shows a complete lack of support and respect” for teachers.

Rumors about Superintendent Frank Sherburne have been circulating through Buxton-based SAD 6 for months. Last month, the superintendent began posting his daily appointments schedule online to dispel rumors that he was on administrative leave.

The rumors apparently began in the spring, when the union claimed in a letter to the school board that Sherburne’s communications with an unidentified student had caused a delay in providing the boy with mental health care, which included hospitalization.

The union said that Sherburne made himself “available via phone, text and email” to a student, that he said the student “was engaging in suicidal behavior ‘for attention,’ ” and that he told the student that if he “went to Spring Harbor (Hospital) they ‘will strip you down and put a catheter in your penis.’ ”

In response to the rumors and the complaint, the school board hired the Portland law firm Pierce Atwood, “at a significant expense to the taxpayers of the district,” to investigate Sherburne, officials have said.

The district has refused to release the findings of that investigation, but school officials said that it cleared Sherburne of wrongdoing and that the matter was dropped.

The superintendent “did not act in a manner that was inappropriate with any student,” said the letter to the community Thursday.

The letter on the district’s website was signed by school board Chair Charlotte Dufresne, but she said Thursday that it was written collaboratively by her, Superintendent Sherburne and the district’s attorney, Peter Felmly of Drummond Woodsum.

The letter said that the family of the student mentioned in the union’s letter felt the “staff did not seem interested in helping the student” and that the superintendent “was forced to become involved with the student because the family came directly to him for help and support.”

It said statements that the union claimed Sherburne made “must be taken with extreme caution.”

“The employees involved in writing the letter from the (union) had no direct involvement in the conversations between the superintendent and the student and do not know what was said nor the context of any of the conversations,” the letter said.

It said the union made the allegations because the district is going through “significant change,” which is being carried out by the superintendent, who was hired in 2011.

“A reaction from the union is not uncommon when change occurs. The reaction is typically intended to distract the district and the public from the change and to insure the status quo is maintained,” the letter said.

The Saco Valley Teachers’ Association said Thursday that it “accepted the results (of the investigation) and made no additional actions regarding this matter.”

However, it responded to Dufresne’s letter Thursday afternoon, saying it is “very concerned about the board’s letter besmirching the union” and referring to a statement earlier this week by union President Eric Curtis about its efforts to work collaboratively. The two sides are scheduled to begin contract negotiations soon.

“I’m absolutely concerned it’s going to have a negative effect on the work we’ve been doing,” Curtis said Thursday about the board’s letter.

(Continued on page 2)

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)