April 27, 2013

Security high at Nashville marathon

Participants pay tribute to Boston; winner Scott Wietecha had skipped the Boston Marathon.

The Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - With a SWAT team parked near the starting line, Scott Wietecha of Hendersonville, Tenn., won the St. Jude Country Music Marathon on Saturday after missing the Boston Marathon because of too much training.

click image to enlarge

Runners in the St. Jude Country Music Marathon in Nashville, Tenn., observe a moment of silence for those injured and killed in the Boston Marathon bombings.

The Associated Press

This was the largest combined marathon and half-marathon in the United States since the April 15 bombings. Heavy security turned out on a cold and rainy Saturday morning with more than 30,000 runners and a crowd estimated at more than 50,000.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security was on hand along with Nashville police, more than 150 private security officers and extra bomb-sniffing dogs.

Wietecha finished in 2 hours, 22 minutes, 41 seconds for his first marathon victory. He is only the second American champion in the 14-year history of the race, and the win follows his decision not to run in Boston. The 31-year-old Wietecha said he had trained so much he felt too worn out to run well in Boston.

"I was bummed at first, but I'm actually pretty happy it didn't work out," Wietecha said. "I feel bad for what happened there but I'm glad I was able to come back here and getting my marathon in. It was a cool experience coming out here and winning the hometown run."

The Boston bombings killed three people and injured more than 260. The victims were remembered throughout the race.

Before the start, Boston's adopted song, "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond, blared through speakers. A moment of silence was held, with heads bowed and peace signs raised. An American flag waved as the first wave of runners took off on Nashville's streets.

"With runners, they bond together, so it makes people stronger, "Wietecha said. "So I don't understand the goal of (the bombings)."

Security had been a top priority since the bombings. Nashville officials held a news conference Tuesday to reassure runners and spectators they would be safe with a heavy presence of federal and state officials. They also reminded everyone to be alert for anything suspicious, and had a hotline set up for tips.

T.C. Weber of Nashville waited for his wife, Priscilla, near the finish line with his 2-year-old son Peter, and 3-year-old daughter Avery. Weber, 47, wasn't concerned about his safety.

"Unless the buffoon brothers moved down here, too, I think we're fine," he said.

Jennifer Moore of Brentwood watched for her boyfriend, runner Allan Williams. "Obviously, there was always a concern," she said. "But we knew security was increased and not to stand near trash cans and to be cognizant of your surroundings."


Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)