March 29, 2013

Alexis Wright pleads guilty, will go to jail

By Scott Dolan sdolan@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

(Continued from page 1)

click image to enlarge

Alexis Wright appears in Cumberland County Court following an agreement on a plea bargain Friday afternoon. Wright is reacting to the judge's comments regarding possible jail time included in the deal.

John Ewing / Staff Photographer

Related headlines

She said the story is Wright's to tell in her own time.

"The hard part in this case is, there's a whole lot more to this story. Just because the story doesn't come out in the criminal case doesn't mean it won't come out," Churchill said. "There's obviously a backstory to why this all started and why it went on for as long as it did and whether my client wanted it to happen."

Strong was convicted earlier this month in York County Superior Court of 13 misdemeanors -- 12 counts of promotion of prostitution and one count of conspiracy with Wright.

He was sentenced on March 21 to serve 20 days in jail and pay a $3,000 fine. This week, he withdrew an appeal seeking to overturn the jury's verdicts.

The evidence presented at Strong's trial would have been particularly damning for Wright. One explicit video, which was played for the jury at his trial, shows her having sex with a man and then collecting a stack of cash from him.

In addition to the jail time, fines and restitution, Wright will be given a one-year suspended jail term to be served after her release. She will be on administrative supervision as she begins to pay restitution on a payment plan.

"She is currently married. She's living with her husband. And like any married couple, they have debts," Churchill said in court. "She does have the ability to work, so we expect the payments to be made from the household income."

The lead prosecutor in the case, York County Deputy District Attorney Justina McGettigan, said Wright's plea does not end the case.

So far, 66 of more than 140 people in Wright's records have been charged. Police put charges against others on hold while the cases against Wright and Strong dominated their attention.

"This continues to be under investigation," McGettigan said. "Two prominent people have been found guilty or accepted responsibility. There have been a number of the 66 charged who have been convicted or accepted responsibility. It remains to be seen, of the others, how many will be charged."

Scott Dolan can be contacted at 791-6304 or at:

sdolan@pressherald.com

 

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)