Saturday, December 7, 2013
The First Baptist Church of Waterborough (also known as the Old Corner Church) once was located in the busiest section of town and boasted the largest Baptist congregation in York County.
This photo shows The Old Corner Church in Waterboro as it appeared in early 1900s, with the church at right, the Old Corner Schoolhouse on the left and its old the horse sheds in the center.
Photos courtesy Friends of the Old Corner Church
The church still looks good, despite the work needed.
The building still rests atop its original 1804 foundation on a grassy, gated knoll. But town central has long since moved, and with it an active congregation. The church closed in the early 1940s due to declining membership. It has since sat empty, except for the few nostalgic services it hosts each year.
A group of neighbors and history buffs stepped in to care for the aging building. Many of them are the children of former congregants who value the church as the town's oldest known public building and one of the few structures to have escaped the flames of the 1947 forest fire.
The group got the building listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. And, in 2004, the nonprofit Friends of Old Corner Church, formed to preserve the historic integrity of the structure.
Money comes primarily from a few annual fundraisers, like a ham dinner, and grants. The dinners generate just $600 or $700 per meal and grants are hard to come by since the group does not yet hold the deed to the property. Even so, the group has overseen projects to restore the exterior front and sides of the church has committed to a projected $20,000 job on the church's rear, assuming no structural damage is found when the aging clapboard siding is removed.
Treasurer Linda Hanscom, 70, of North Waterboro, believes the key to ensuring funds for the church lies in revealing the stories of its past.
The group has turned to yet another town treasure to provide those details: 93-year-old historian Esther Smith.
Born and raised on the family farm in South Waterboro, Smith was a farmer's wife and mother of two, who discovered her gift for writing and recollection later in life.
She returned to school at age 60 to take typing classes and began typing her memoirs of rural life in the early 1900s shortly thereafter. Those accounts were published in a series of newspapers articles nearly three decades ago. Now Hanscom is working with Smith to compile those stories in one book, with sales benefiting the church restoration fund.
"Esther is well known for her knowledge of area history and one of the few people who can tell us the history of this church," said Hanscom. "In fact, Esther is one of the main reasons that our group was formed. She was worried about who would care for the church after she is gone. We think that people, especially newcomers not familiar with the town's history, will welcome having this collection of her stories in one booklet."
According to Smith, the original building has undergone several renovations in its 200-year history, most notably in 1849, when the building's height was reduced by 7 feet "from the ground up." Then, two second-floor balconies removed, the sanctuary's slanted floor was leveled and an elevated pulpit was lowered. Those alterations were thought to make the unheated building more energy-efficient. There was no electricity in the space, therefore lighting and heat were provided solely by candles and tin boxes filled with hot coals to keep the women's feet warm.
Smith recalled her late grandmother Addie Phoenix's tale of maintaining her composure during one lengthy sermon, when a mouse ran up her heavy wool skirts.
"My grandmother caught the mouse (within the folds of her skirt) and held on tightly until the sermon was done so as not to make a fuss," said Smith. sermon's end, the poor mouse had slipped into eternity.
(Continued on page 2)
click image to enlarge