Saturday, March 8, 2014
From staff and news services
PLYMOUTH, N.H. — Chris Hudnut scored 21 points with 12 rebounds, both game highs, to lead Colby to a 66-51 victory against Plymouth State in a nonconference men’s college basketball game Tuesday.
Trailing 15-14 midway through the first half, the Mules (5-3) put together a 15-4 run during a five-minute span and went into halftime with a 38-28 lead.
The Panthers (6-4) cut the lead to 46-40 within the first six minutes of the second half before Sam Willson hit consecutive jumpers to get the lead back to 10. The Mules led by double digits the rest of the way.
Ryan Jann finished with 14 points for Colby. Curtis Arsenault had 11 points for the Panthers.
MISERICORDIA 72, UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND 54: Matt Greeen and Carl Evans combined for 27 second-half points as the Cougars (4-5) handled the Nor’easters (1-8) in the consolation game of the Louis Fleming Basinger memorial tournament at Williamsport, Pa.
Devin Thompson and Pollard each had 12 points for the Nor’easters.
(2) SYRACUSE 70, EASTERN MICHIGAN 48: Jerami Grant scored 15 points in his first start of the season, Rakeem Christmas matched his career high with 15 points, and Syracuse (13-0) beat visiting Eastern Michigan (7-5) in the final nonconference game for both teams.
(3) OHIO STATE 78, PURDUE 69: LaQuinton Ross had 25 points and 12 rebounds, both career bests, and Shannon Scott added a career-high 18 points to lead Ohio State (14-0, 1-0 Big Ten) over Purdue (10-4, 0-1) at West Lafayette, Ind.
(5) MICHIGAN STATE 79, PENN STATE 63: Branden Dawson scored 20 points and Keith Appling had 14 to help Michigan State (12-1, 1-0 Big Ten) beat Penn State (9-5, 0-1) at State College, Pa.
(7) DUKE 88, ELON 46: Andre Dawkins scored 15 points and Duke (11-2) routed Elon (7-7) at Greensboro, N.C.
(11) VILLANOVA 76, BUTLER 73: JayVaughn Pinkston had 22 points at Indianapolis and Villanova (12-1) rebounded from its first loss of the season with an overtime victory over Butler (10-3) in a Big East opener.
(13) IOWA STATE 99, NORTHERN ILLINOIS 63: DeAndre Kane had 16 points, 12 rebounds and eight assists, and Iowa State (12-0) blew past Northern Illinois (5-6) at Ames, Iowa.
(14) LOUISVILLE 90, CENTRAL FLORIDA 65: Russ Smith hit six 3-pointers, and finished with 24 points and nine assists at Orlando, Fla., as Louisville (12-2) ran past Central Florida (8-4) in an American Athletic Conference opener.
HOUSTON 75, (17) CONNECTICUT 71: TaShawn Thomas scored 23 points, including two free throws with nine seconds left, and blocked a late layup by Shabazz Napier as Houston (9-5) rallied over Connecticut (11-2) in an American Athletic Conference opener.
(18) MEMPHIS 88, SOUTH FLORIDA 73: Geron Johnson scored 19 points and Memphis (10-2) beat South Florida (9-5) in an American Athletic Conference opener.
(19) NORTH CAROLINA 84, UNC WILMINGTON 51: James Michael McAdoo had 23 points and 10 rebounds at Chapel Hill, N.C., and North Carolina (10-3) beat UNC Wilmington (6-9) to become the third program to reach 2,100 victories, joining Kentucky and Kansas.
(22) IOWA 67, NEBRASKA 57: Devyn Marble had 15 points and eight rebounds, and Iowa (12-2) opened its Big Ten season with a victory against Nebraska (8-5).
DREW 55, COLBY 45: Desi Smith had 15 points, but the Mules (3-7) lost to the Rangers (7-2) in the Naismith Classic at Springfield, Mass.
Colby led 26-24 at halftime, but Miller opened the second half with a 3-pointer to give Drew the lead. Miller also hit a 3-pointer with 9:05 left for a 44-37 lead.
Brooke Chandor added 10 points for the Mules.
Johnny Orr, who coached Michigan to the NCAA final in 1976, died at 86. He coached for 29 years, including three at Massachusetts.
OKLAHOMA STATE: Forward Michael Cobbins will miss the season with a ruptured Achilles tendon.