Thursday, April 24, 2014
• Two Maine senior women's basketball teams -- Quick Silver and the Flashes -- finished first and second among 21 teams in the 55-59 age group at the National Senior Games in Cleveland. After losing its opening game, Quick Silver earned the gold medal with six straight wins, including a victory over the Flashes in the championship game.
Members of the Flashes women’s basketball team that won a silver medal in the 55-59 age group at the National Senior Games, from left to right: Deb Smith (Portland), Nancy Richardson (South Portland), Joan Howard (Biddeford), Nancy Fortin (Richmond), Joanne Lannin (Gorham), Susan Dunn (Buxton) and Coach Lisa Hodge (Windham).
The Quick Silver women’s basketball team won a gold medal in the 55-59 age group at the National Senior Games. Pictured from left to right: Janice Pendleton (Brunswick), Anne Dunne (Scarborough), Laurie Bjorn (Kennebunk), Linda Pickard (Lyman), Tammie Higgins (Portland) and Coach Mario Barros (Kennebunk).
TO SUBMIT NEWS
• Photos should be sent in .jpg format, and all emails should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Please include your name and a phone number for verification.
• Ken Gibbs carded his fifth career hole-in-one on the 11th hole at Martindale Golf Club in Auburn. Gibbs used a 9-iron for the 104-yard shot, which was witnessed by Mike Garrity, Marty Garrity and Jim MacDonald.
• Rick Jones aced the par-3 fourth hole at Rivermeadow on July 23. The shot was witnessed by Dick Leone, Ronnie Stuart and Larry Barlow.
• Pat Doran of Brunswick Golf Club recorded his first hole-in-one, using a 6-iron on the 172-yard 11th hole at his home course. His playing partners were Richie Thibeault and Brian Sherwood.
• Kathy Drake aced the 135-yard fifth hole at The Woodlands on Aug. 10. Drake used a 5-hybrid for the shot, which was witnessed by Laurie Hyndman, Gibson Wilkes and Sue Milnes.
click image to enlarge
Saco Little League’s 10-11 all-stars won the state championship for the second straight year, beating Dirigo 13-1 in the final in Saco on July 30. Team members, from left to right, Cal Christoforo, Will Mitchell, Jackson Cochrane, Luke Ham, Ryan Penney, Ethan Tsomides, Ben Ham, Austin Morin, Grant Dow, Hayden Lehigh, Patrick Sawyer and Kobe Gaudette.