Wednesday, December 11, 2013
1. Cheverus: Runners-up to Bangor in Class A last season, the Stags lost four scoring swimmers to graduation. but return a deep and balanced team bolstered by the addition of freshmen Kevin Kane and Jacob Griffin, and led by senior Trebor Lawton
2. Greely: The defending Class B state champ returns seven swimmers who reached individual championship finals: seniors Nathan Madeira and Sam Reed; juniors Jonathan Dunnett, Connor Russell, Jack Benoit and Griffin Fluet; and sophomore Ryan Plante.
3. Cape Elizabeth: Third in Class A last February, the Capers once more will compete for hardware with a deep team led by senior Evan Long, the only returning swimmer to reach an individual championship final.
4. Windham: Much of the core remains from a team that placed sixth in Class A last winter and won its second straight South Southwesterns title. Senior Nick Sundquist and sophomore Joe Paluso, both championship finalists in two events, lead the way.
5. Scarborough: The return of senior Jerry Gravel after two years of exclusively club swimming has given the Red Storm a top-flight performer to go with three promising freshmen and a returning core that includes divers Jonathan Alas and Nate Erickson.