Looking northeast from City Hall by George M Howe in 1863, before the 1866 Great Fire wiped out almost everything in view. The closest steeple was the Third Parish Church, on the north corner of Congress and Chapel Street; it was destroyed in the fire, and the Second Parish, the church of which burned on Fore Street, moved here. The square steeple beyond it on the north corner with Pearl was the Universalist Church. Note the area that would become Lincoln Park to the right of the steeples. The smokestacks in the distance to right of center was the Portland Company. (This info from Portland Maine History 1786 to Present Facebook page)