JEFFERSON — A 10-year-old boy burned Tuesday when he dumped gasoline on a camp fire remains in critical condition at a Boston burn hospital.

Dakota Buotte was listed in “critical but stable” condition at Boston Shriners Hospital, a hospital spokeswoman said today.

Buotte was taken directly to Massachusetts General Hospital by a LifeFlight of Maine helicopter Tuesday after suffering first- and second-degree burns to his chest, face, hands, back and arms, Jefferson Fire Chief Walter Morris Sr. said.

Buotte was subsequently taken to Shriners Hospital, which specializes in treating burn victims.

Rescuers were called to Buotte’s home at 15 Fox Road shortly after 7 p.m. Tuesday. Buotte’s family had been cooking on a campfire, Morris said.

“Apparently, this young boy came across a gasoline can,” Morris said. “He went to apply gasoline to the fire. A flash fire ensued.”

Buotte was conscious and alert in the front seat of a car when firefighters arrived, Morris said.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.