AUGUSTA – The Bangor High football team went to Alumni Field hoping to establish its ground game early against Cony.

When that didn’t work, Bangor put the ball in the hands of quarterback Joe Seccareccia.

“They gave us some opportunities to throw,” Seccareccia said, “so we took advantage. The passing game really opened up.”

And in a big way.

Seccareccia threw for 220 yards and two touchdowns, and Bangor overcame a one-point halftime deficit to cruise past Cony 28-7 in an Eastern Class A game Saturday.

Cony (1-2) had its chances against Bangor (3-0), particularly in the first half, but couldn’t capitalize.

Quarterback Luke Duncklee rushed for 102 yards and a first-quarter touchdown on 24 carries, and completed 9 of 26 passes for 124 yards. He also threw an interception in the end zone late in the second quarter with Cony leading, 7-6.

“We did all right in the beginning,” Duncklee said. “We scraped by. We made a couple of mistakes. We just didn’t compete in the second half. We had a couple of chances but just couldn’t take advantage.”

In the first half, Cony was able to move the ball against a bigger defense.

Cony led 7-0 after a 14-play, 80-yard drive that ended with 2:47 left in the first quarter. Duncklee sparked the drive with a 15-yard pass to Chase Shostak on fourth-and-6 from the Bangor 36. He scored on a 4-yard run.

Seccareccia threw a 30-yard touchdown pass to Josiah Hartley early in the second quarter to pull Bangor within 7-6. But Carl Farnham missed the extra point. Farnham also missed two field-goal attempts from inside 30 yards in the first half.

Cony had a chance to pad its lead when it reached the Bangor 1 with about six minutes left in the half. After a bad snap dropped Cony to the 5, Seccareccia intercepted Duncklee in the end zone.

“The first half wasn’t as successful as we wanted it to be,” said Hartley, who rushed for a team-high 111 yards.

Bangor slowly put the game away in the second half.

Hartley rushed for a 10-yard touchdown with 5:06 left in the third quarter. Seccareccia then threw a 40-yard touchdown pass to Nick Sherwood in the opening minute of the fourth to make it 21-7.

“They were just a little bit better than us in the second half,” said Cony Coach Robby Vachon. “In the fourth quarter they really started to just grind it out.”

Added Bangor Coach Mark Hackett: “Cony is a good team. They frustrated us, but we wore them down a little bit. They got a little tired.”

Cony gained just 83 yards in the second half and finished with 238. Bangor had 393 yards.

Wyatt Frost capped the scoring with a 2-yard touchdown run with just under two minutes left.

“They played a full game,” Duncklee said. “We played a half. We got lazy.”