Sebago Fire Department quickly extinguished an early morning fire in Sebago.

The fire outside the residence at 54 Taylor Rd. was reported shortly after 8 a.m., Deputy Fire Chief Alan Greene said.

The fire started at the base of the chimney outside the home where a pile of leaves had built up, Greene said. There were two people at home at the time.

“They had the wherewithal and grabbed a garden hose and knocked the flames down,” while waiting for crews to respond, Greene said.

It took crews about 20 minutes to extinguish the fire and douse remaining hot spots. There was no interior damage done to the house, but the exterior siding and sheeting were scorched.

“This particular fire is a different, unusual occurrence,” Greene said, adding that the flue pipe for the chimney was lower to the ground and that is what ignited the leaves.