BATH — A man was burned and access to Bath’s downtown restricted for three hours this afternoon after a fire broke out in a motorcycle repair shop located underneath the Route 1 viaduct.

Fire Chief Steve Hinds said Roger Love, an employee of RVI, suffered burns to his arms and legs after trying to put the fire out. Love was transported to MidCoast Hospital in Brunswick with non-life threatening injuries.

Love had been working on a motorcycle engine and draining gas from the engine when it backfired and caught fire.

Hinds said RVI, which is located at 733 Middle Street, was engulfed in flames by the time firefighters arrived. An adjacent storage building suffered some minor fire damage.

Motorists could not use the Route 1 ramps to enter Bath’s downtown for about three hours. The fire was reported at 12:30 p.m.