PETER DRUM, right, presents a check to Lincoln County Historical Association president John Reinhardt.

PETER DRUM, right, presents a check to Lincoln County Historical Association president John Reinhardt.

WISCASSET — Peter Drum, president of the Lincoln County Bar Association, presented a $3,000 check from the association to the Lincoln County Historical Association ( LCHA) at its annual membership meeting on Nov. 19.

The money will be used to help ongoing renovation of the historic Pownalborough Courthouse in Dresden, which celebrated its 250th anniversary this year, according to an LCHA release.

Drum urged LCHA members to “feel free to use this (gift) as a challenge” to other bar associations in Maine “to equal us or better us,” in helping preserve this “ tremendous building” and keep it as it was when it was built more than two centuries ago.

The courthouse is one of three historic properties managed by the LCHA. The others are the Museum and 1811 Old Jail on Federal Street in Wiscasset, and the 1754 Chapman Hall House on Main Street in Damariscotta.

Also at the Nov. 19 meeting, LCHA board president John Reinhardt announced that four longtime board members, Greg Shaw, Elizabeth Potter, Sandy Hopkins and Tom Eichler, were leaving the board after many years of service.

Association members who attended the Nov. 19 meeting also unanimously approved three new board members: Christine Hopf-Lovette, Nate Clark and Bobbi Brewer.

Reinhardt was approved to remain as board president. Board member Ed Kavanaugh was elected as vice president, and Wendy Ross Eichler was approved to remain as secretary.

Other remaining board members are treasurer Bill Brewer, Mary Ellen Barnes, Mike Dekker, Steve Eagles, Merry Fossel, Lachelle Golding, Natalie House, George Keyes, Ernie McNiff, Pete Morrissey, Perry Palmer, Darryn Petersen, Patricia Reed, Faye Snyder, Chuck Vaughan and Lea Wait.

Board members reported on activities for the year at each property. At the Pownalborough Courthouse, a massive chimney has been repaired and a new roof is now being installed, 58 of the old windows have been renovated by prisoners at the Two Bridges Jail, and a new trail system has been established on the courthouse grounds.

At the Museum and Old Jail, a new roof has been installed.

At the Chapman Hall House, the leaking chimney has been restored and a reshingling project is in the works.

Hosted by owners Susan and Donald Blagden, approximately 60 people attended the annual meeting and subsequent party at the Smith House on High Street in Wiscasset.

For information on LCHA membership, contact John Reinhardt on 882-9628, or at [email protected]

filed under: